Tuesday, February 28, 2017

He's a winner even when he lost

 {EXPLANATION: This post was first written  and was intended to be published in May 2016. I was procrastinating. I had it in the drafts, and I had thought it would keep it's May 2016 date, but as soon as I started editing lately, it automatically switched  to the current date.Ugh.}

                                                                            @ @ @
So. I am quite disappointed with the way things turned out on the recent episode of Immortal Song 2 (episode 245).  Some kind of weird injustice happened. What was the audience thinking, when they gave Jung Dong Ha the LAST place ??!!?? It's unbelievable to me. A travesty really.

It's true, that I'm speaking from the point of view of devoted/enthusiastic/crazy JDH fan, and also from the point of view of someone who likes the particular style of the song he performed.

I was totally pleased, when I only first heard that Dong Ha would be performing a jazzy song. When this day finally came, and I listened to it, and saw the video, I loved it! Not that I would like Dong Ha to always sing in this style, but it was something new to hear him perform  this  kind of  bossanova/smooth jazz/sleepy elevator  song.
I can understand that Korean audience is not very fond of jazz - that's what was explained to me. I can understand that Dongha did not win this time. But he got the least number of votes of all 7 singers! Seriously?
I enjoyed listening to the video multiple times for a few days on You Tube, and I had firmly believed this was one of the most memorable performances of his on that competition.  
Then one evening I decided to view the video clip with my streaming device, on the large screen TV. And, wow, it hit me hard. The song itself is more or less telling a story of a man who who is in deep regret after a break-up. He blames himself for missing a chance for a true love.
Link: Immortal Song 2 YouTube, April2, 2016 "Swamp"


Once I saw it on a large TV screen, I was like struck by lightning.

My face was like this :
I was thinking, "what is going on?" Is that him, that sexy man?"  I just couldn't  take my eyes off of him, looking at that performance. He let himself go completely. He does that often, though not always. But in this video it's so enchanting! I find the video of him singing this song addictive - I especially like to watch the second half, when he is standing by the microphone. 
What is he doing with his body? His whole body is singing! He is swaying, and trembling, doing some weird jumps, and everything! And at the end, he is just smiling to himself. His own singing made him happy. 
I was so under the spell, so mesmerized and so flustered by the impact that video had on me, that the next morning, during a chat with another fan, I expressed myself a little too recklessly, lol. 

The exchange was very excited between  me and the other fan, an here is what I said:
Me:  Yes, I was going to say too, he was jumping...Yes, passionate...
(...)
He was able to express so much with this performance. 
Hopefully the TV viewers could see that clearly.
 (...)
 Maybe it's different for the audience. (comment on the fact that Dong Ha received the LOWEST number of points on that day from the audience in the studio)
(...)
And the veins on his neck! At the end. Awesome!
(...)
I will say something, just about this particular performance . He is very mesmerizing when he performs, because there is something unusual about him, some sort of magnetism. I guess it's called charisma. Charisma on stage - he has it always. But specifically in this video, he is simply sexy as hell.
(...) 
I really do not like to use this expression, but nothing else come to my mind.
I do not have a habit of describing beautiful, or attractive people as sexy. But hey, why deny it, when it's there?


After this dialogue I felt embarrassed, and apologized to my  facebook friend. That girl is way younger, she could be my daughter, and she knows it that I am an old (ish) lady.  I chastised myself for not being able to control what I say. But she said this was nothing offensive, and also referred me to the small video, which showed how other singers in the waiting room backstage reacted to his performance. Wow, singer Hong Ji Min, could not hold back how she felt.                                                     

    
*OMG! I just watched the video clip with English subtitled posted by 이한미 on FB.

 *You were so right, the comments in the waiting room were exactly the same as what I said  yesterday! And look at Hong Ji Min, wow, she saw the exact same thing. 

*I saw everything Hong Ji Min was talking about.

* It feels so STRANGE, that people on two different sides of the Earth Hemisphere would have the same impression, and comment in the same way.

*I had thought I went overboard. I feel better now. 

*This was precious! My reaction to dh performance was unusual, because I'm normally tame and composed. 
                                                                       @   @  @          

After the Immortal Song 2 Ep. 245 aired on TV, One Hallyu Blog described the performance like this:  
"Veteran rock singer Jung Dong Ha covers Swamp by Jo Kwan Woo, a ballad released in 1994. Dong Ha sits on a chair while his guitarist plays a chilling tune. Dong Ha makes a suave start by using a sultry tone. Like a possessed man, he feels the music while in complete control of his vocals. In the chorus, he continues to play with dynamics, which compels you to keep on listening for more. After a short pause, he does a few powerful adlibs that leaves Sandeul in amazement. He then quickens the pace and stands up to show off his rock roots. That is, belting high notes and transitioning into head voice like a walk in a park. He goes for broke on his last sustained screechy high note to finish the performance."
 

           They sure are right.  He is "like a possessed man" sometimes on stage

No comments:

Post a Comment