Friday, February 3, 2017

Throw back to 2015 - Drunken Truth

I have had so much on my mind, regarding Jung Dong Ha; I have been thinking so many different things about him, and his performances, that I've been paralyzed from writing anything on this blog. I couldn't decide which subject to actually pick.
So, I will just do this. I'm posting his performance  at a special concert called "7080" ( as in "music from 70-ties and 80-ties"), that he did on July 4th 2015. I just came across of it today, after a long time.

The song's name is "Drunken Truth", and the first time I heard it was when Dong Ha sang part of it at the JTBC singers competition in March of that year.. I just loved the rich low voice he used at that time. Also the song itself  sounded to me like some great ballad. But that competition was not about singing ability, but about being able to remember the lyrics of beloved songs, played randomly at the studio. Dong Ha did quite well, remembering the lyrics, but also he showed his exceptionally great vocals.

I was thrilled when later he chose to actually sing the entire song in that special "7080"concert.

I was thrilled again today, when I suddenly re-discovered this video on you tube. My heart melted, and my soul jumped of excitement. Ah, the magic, and strange charm of Jung Dong Ha. It's all in the voice. But also his looks are quite appealing here. I like the longish hair. I can't help but be mesmerized by his stage presence, his stance, the entire figure, and his movements while on stage.
Below is mp4 video.
Sometimes the mp4 doesn't work, so I also embedded  the same video from you tube.

Today, I discovered what this song is actually about.  It's a confession of love, and the man who confesses is able to do that because he drank some alcohol - he was never able to say what he wanted, when he had been sober.
Translated lyrics go like this:
                                                                   *    *    *
You’re right, I may be drunk 
This may be a mistake.                                                
When morning comes, I may act like I don’t remember 
 And act uncomfortable around you. 
 But tonight there is something that I absolutely have to say. 
 I apologize for my current state, 
 But please don’t think that I am just saying this because I am drunk. 
Whenever I am in front of you I prepare myself to say this
But I always say the opposite thing, turn around and regret it, 
But now I will declare to you 
That I have loved you from the start. 
I love you so much 

Even if my sloppy declaration seems corny or unbelievable,
It is not something I am just saying. 
I’ll probably never do something like this again 
But as the night becomes light 
I will hold you in my arms once again, and tell you 
That I love you 

Why are you just smiling? Do you hear this as a joke? 
Why are you not saying a word, but looking at me as you would a child? 
Whenever I am in front of you I prepare myself to say this 
But I always say the opposite thing, turn around and regret it, 
But now I will declare to you 
That I have loved you from the start. 
I love you so much 

Even if my sloppy declaration seems corny or unbelievable 
This isn’t something I say to just anyone 
I’m not that kind of man. 
I feel as awkward as you do 
I can’t even look you in the eye. 
I am sorry that I keep on saying the same things I was saying earlier 
But tonight I’ll tell you everything. 
I love you so much

                         Even if my sloppy declaration seems corny or unbelievable
                         It is not something I am just saying 
                         I’ll probably never do something like this again 
                         But as the night becomes light 
                         I will hold you in my arms once again
                        And tell you that I love you 
                         I love you                                                                                                 
                                                                                       

2 comments:

  1. JDH’s version of drunken truth is my personal favourite. I absolutely adore the way he sang this… He seemed to be able to portray the song well, singing it as if slightly drunk himself, and in a relaxed, effortless manner. But I can tell you, the song is not easy at all! It requires a lot of stamina as the sentences are long. And to make it seemed effortless is just WOW. I have heard many veteran singers who fell short of the mark. I am very happy too that he decided to sing the whole song, in contrast to the previous shorter clip. *high five*

    ReplyDelete
  2. ♥ ♥ ♥ Wonderful comment. I'm glad you notice such special things about his performances.

    ReplyDelete